The Holistic School program
The Holistic School is an in-person program designed for preschool, primary and middle school teachers and teacher aides looking to improve their knowledge and skills in understanding how they can best support children with additional needs.
The Holistic School has been designed by a school-based Occupational Therapist and it aims to dispel the myths and simplify the overwhelm of working with a child who has additional needs.
Based on 20 years of working as an Occupational Therapist in schools, this program will help teachers to:
- Understand the basics of disabilities and conditions common in children.
- Understand how to utilise a child’s therapy team to support you and your student.
- Access the resources needed to implement inclusion strategies that will benefit a whole class.
- Identify the potential barriers within your physical classroom and school, as well as those that impact your teaching style.
- Build your resilience and energy so you can thrive throughout the whole school year.
- Develop professional networks to support your learning in inclusion.
If any of this sounds like a dream, I want you to know that it’s 100% possible for you. With simple strategies that can be implemented straight away in your classroom, The Holistic Classroom is your support when you need it.
The Holistic School Program offers
- A half-day (or shorter) staff meeting in-person workshop.
- Content which is delivered in a meaningful way that is immediately actionable.
- Access to the online resources site where teachers can download resources that will help support their inclusion practices.
- Access to a network of support through our private Facebook page.
- Certificate of Completion available for all attendees at the end of the program. – this is a good piece of professional development evidence for your CPD folder.
Meet your facilitator, Angela
For the last 20 years Angela has been working in classrooms alongside teachers providing school-based Occupational Therapy services focusing on the inclusion of children with additional needs and supporting teachers to do the work they love. Angela’s work developing and implementing school-based programs to streamline services between the health and education sectors has been used in Australia and Canada. Her practices continue to challenge the way children with additional needs are included in school settings.
Angela is committed to forging new and innovative paths in health and education. She has worked as the National Manager of Community Engagement with a Local Area Coordination service for the roll-out of engagement and capacity building programs for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) and she was CEO of the child safety organisation, Kidsafe (NT). Her work, no matter the workplace, has always led her to one purpose … to help children have the best start in life.
Angela knows that when we work together, we all thrive, and through her programs she is able to demonstrate the benefits of her practice.
Angela has provided expert opinion on leading mainstream, parenting and lifestyle media such as Channel 9, Today EXTRA, The Australian Financial Review, Good Health magazine, Huffington Post, Mamamia, Radio 2UE.
Her regular segment on “The Luke and Susie Show” is syndicated across Australia and is the host of “Your Life” Podcast available on Spotify, Apple Podcasts and Google Play.
Mrs Lynne Pull, Principal St Anthony's Primary School, Kingscliff
“The pace of life these days contributes to a sense of always feeling like we have too much to do and not enough time to do it so we constantly feel overwhelmed, stressed and anxious. Collaborating with the expertise of a health professional such as Angela Lockwood has enabled all in the school community to realise how to be proactive in taking responsibility for our own health and well-being. Building community partnerships and working relationships between schools and health services enables us to provide additional support and resources for students and their families. We can learn so much from each other.”
Diane Core, Additional Needs Teacher / School Psychologist
“Since Angela has been working within our school, there has been a difference in student performance in class since participating in Angela’s programs. Angela works in liaison with parents, the teachers, executive staff and the school counsellor to develop a more multi-team approach to attend to students’ needs. The outcomes are fantastic.”